Functional medicine is a patient-centered approach that combines Western medical data and alternative practices, addressing the whole person with the objective of finding the underlying cause of disease, instead of just “masking” an isolated set of symptoms. This approach uses nutrition, exercise, stress management, supplements and therapeutic diets to prevent and reverse the progression of disease.
Who should consider Functional Medicine?
- Have you addressed your symptoms with your doctor and received treatment, however, you still feel sick?
- Have you tried "everything" and nothing seems to work and get rid of your symptoms?
- Are you currently taking medication that is not working or only partially working?
- Do you do your best to have a healthy lifestyle, however, you don't feel you're as healthy as you should be?
- Have you been battling with a condition for years that you have not been able to change? And think might be getting worse?
If any of these questions describe your case, then you are a perfect candidate for Functional Medicine.
Most common conditions that benefit from a Functional Medicine approach
- Metabolic disorders: Diabetes, obesity, insulin resistance
- Cardiovascular conditions: High blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease
- Fibromyalgia: Chronic pain, migraines, joint pain, muscle aches
- Autoimmune diseases: Rheumatoid arthritis, allergies, celiac disease, Hashimoto's disease
- Digestive disorders: Irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, chronic pancreatitis, acid reflux, leaky gut, SIBO
- Neurological and psychiatric conditions: Depression, ADD, ADHD
- Skin disorders: Psoriasis, acne, eczema, alopecia areata
- Hormonal problems: Hormone imbalance, thyroid conditions, adrenal fatigue, menopause, andropause
How do we work?
Our ultimate goal is to find out what's REALLY driving your disease, in order to restore balance and normal function. For that, we do extensive laboratory testing which includes:
- Comprehensive Blood Panel
- Adrenal Stress Index
- Salivary Hormone Panel
- Comprehensive Stool Panel with Parasitology and H. Pylori
- Genetic Methylation Test
- Genetic Health and Weight Test
- Food Sensitivity Testing (around 300 different food molecules)
Once we have received all your testing results, we will customize a plan JUST FOR YOU. One thing we are fully aware of, is that even though a group of signs and symptoms will define a particular disease, the root cause can be totally different from one patient to another. For example, Diabetes is a disease that will have similar symptoms in all persons that have it, however, the underlying cause of this disease could be insulin resistance, chronic inflammation, autoimmune disorders, hormone imbalance, environmental toxicity, etc.
That's why, we cannot pretend that one same treatment will work for every case, because every person is different, every cause is different and for us there's no "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" treatment. That's one on the main reasons for our success.